The charity's Annual Information Statement current at the time of this review has since been superseded. Please start with the updated review published in October 2017, and come back to this one as needed.
Mini-charity review of Youth With A Mission Sunshine Coast Inc (YSC) as an organisation that seeks donations. (Including the answers to the questions that the Australian charity regulator, the ACNC, suggests that you ask.)
Is YSC registered?
- As a charity, yes.
- Other registrations:
- As a Queensland incorporated association (IA28315).
- Not registered for fundraising in any of the seven states that have a fundraising licence regime. This includes the state in which they operate.
- The law in this area is not straightforward – is an internet invitation ‘fundraising’ for instance? – and advice varies, so check with the charity before drawing any conclusions.
What do they do?
- They conduct ‘DTS’, ‘SBS’, and ‘Titus’ courses for Christians (see the main menu), and have various ‘ministries’ to non-believers.
Do they share the Gospel?
- Sharing the Gospel is not explicitly included in its objects (in the constitution).
- Their description of some of their ministries suggests that in at least those ministries it is something they do.
What impact are they having?
- Nothing found.
What do they spend outside the costs directly incurred in delivering the above impact, that is, on administration?
- The Profit & Loss that has been submitted to the ACNC does not include a complete listing of the expenses, so no calculation is possible.
Can you get a tax deduction?
Is their online giving secure?
- Westpac’s portal is used, so yes.
- See the Security Policy at the bottom of the giving page.
Is their reporting up-to-date?
- Yes (nine months after their year-end).
- But if you are considering a large donation, I would ask for more up-to-date financial information – the accounts are for a year end that is now over 16 months ago.
Does their reporting comply with the regulator’s requirements?
- AIS 2015: No.
- Outcomes missing.
- The last section is blank.
- The financial statement figures don’t match the financial statements.
- The wrong type of financial statements are specified.
- Financial Report 2015: No
- Nothing that is required is submitted. There is only one page, an incomplete Profit & Loss in a long out-of-date format.
What financial situation was shown by that Report?
- NA. See the previous question.
What did the auditor say about the last financial statements?
- NA. See two questions back.
If a charity, is their information on the ACNC Register complete?
- Not quite. ‘Phone’ and ‘Website’ are blank.
- Not incomplete, but incorrect: the year end is 30 April, not 30 June.
What choices do you have in how your donation is used?
Who are the people controlling the organisation?
- They are not shown on the website.
- The ACNC Register says that there are four directors (which is one more than the minimum required by the constitution):
- Patricia Hensser
- Robert Hensser
- John-Daniel Faull
- Keri Schaber
- The committee is accountable to the members of the company.
To whom are YSC accountable?
- Not claimed on the website, but they are members of Missions Interlink.
- For one opinion on the strength of this accountability, see the section Activities in this review.
Are they responsive to feedback?
- When sent a draft of this review, they did not respond.
- The names that they use for themselves, YWAM Waves and YWAM Sunshine Coast, are not registered business names. ↑