If this is you, then please pause and consider the following:
- This is an organisation that has a public invitation to young people to enter agreements, at not insignificant cost, that are likely to be life-changing,
- that is governed by a Committee of just five people, with two of these being the couple who are the ‘directors’ (since 1997), of this YWAM
- that has a ‘Director/President’ (most likely David Neibling) who has been in this position for 24 years, a position bolstered by the fact that he doesn’t ever face re-election
- that has a Committee that that has no outsiders (even from another YWAM)
- that has a membership (to whom the Committee is accountable) that appears to be restricted to staff of the organisation.
- This is an organisation, a registered charity, that had revenue of $1.73 million in the 2019 year, but where the responsible persons continue to show their disdain for their legal responsibilities by
- submitting for their last Financial Report one that was grossly deficient
- not having yet submitted the charity’s annual reporting due six months ago (with that date being a generous six months after the financial year-end)
- operating without some of the required registrations.
- This is an organisation that gives no information on what it achieved (outcomes, results, or impact) from all that it does, and is doing (using labour funded by donors).
- This is an organisation that is part of a movement where
- periodically there are credible reports of abuse of students
- there is a lack of accountability: the external YWAM body that this and many Australian YWAMs constitutions say needs to be involved in some of the important decisions, appears not to exist
- The members resist independent scrutiny of their information.
A draft of this review was sent to the charity. They….did not respond.
- For the previous review, see here. ↑
- This is the name under which they trade – see, for example, the website – yet, contrary to the law, they have not registered it. ↑
- Angela McGill
Darcie De la Porte
Valma Neibling ↑
- If Valma Neibling is not David Neibling’s wife, then it is likely that she is a close relative. ↑
- Clause 12 (1), the constitution, ACNC Register. ↑
- Clause 12 (2). ↑
- Clause 12. ↑
- Clause 4. ↑
- ACNC Register ↑
- An ARBN for operating interstate, and a registered business name for ‘YWAM Brisbane’. And, most likely, one or more fundraising licences? ↑
- Apart from a few anecdotal reports in their newsletter. ↑
- Not on their website, but common to YWAMs: ↑
- From the constitution [ACNC Register]: ↑
- The only mention of Australia in a long list of ‘global contacts’ all around the world is ‘Pacific & Asia Field Convenor’. ↑