Care: At least some of the information about this charity is no longer current. Use the ‘Search charity names’ box to see if there is a later review. If the latest review has a message like this, you are welcome to make your case for an updated review via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Australian charities regulator, the ACNC, in their Factsheet: Making sure your donation gets to where it needs to, gives “some steps to consider to help make sure your donation is going where it is intended.”
- Check the organisation’s name.
- Ask for identification from anyone seeking a donation.
- Be careful of online requests for donations.
- No tax deduction doesn’t mean the charity is not a legitimate one.
- Find out more about how the charity says it uses donations.
Here’s the results for Entrust Foundation:
1: A search of the Register of charities shows not one, but two, charities with that name:
The name in brackets under the registered name is a result of the ACNC allowing – no, requiring – a charity to record on the Register any names by which it is known. The name may be registered or not. And in this case, the name is not registered to either of these charities, but to a third one, Mission Enterprises (Victoria) Limited.
The existence of three possible claimants for the money you give to Entrust Foundation does not inspire confidence. End of review.
Think this is too tough? Let’s continue by seeing where your money given on the above website goes, and therefore whose accounts to look at (step 5 above).
Of the three ways to give, direct deposit, online, and by cheque, only the latter one identifies the organisation to which you are giving:
So, the particular Entrust Foundation is not identified. And a fourth name is introduced, Entrust Projects. End of review.
- The first charity, Entrust Capital, has an ABN is another name, so it appears that the Register is in error. Its ABN is in the name The Trustee for Entrust Foundation. (Entrust Capital does not have an ABN, and it is neither an organisation name nor a business name with ASIC.) ↑
- I sent a draft of this review to the contact email on the website. They…did not respond. ↑