This is a review of the charity Alphacrucis College Limited (Alphacrucis). It uses the information they have put on the charity regulator’s website (the ACNC Register) and the information on their own website. (We also sent them a draft of this review – see their response below.)
The Alphacrucis Register entry gives this under ‘Summary of activities’:
‘Education’ is defined by the list of courses offered.
A charity’s activities should be chosen to advance the mission. This is Alphacrucis’ mission:
As Christians, we are required to be good stewards of the resources God has provided us (e.g. 1 Corinthians 4:2). To do this, we need to have discernment (e.g. Proverbs 1:5). Therefore, unless we are giving just to make ourselves feel better, we should have an interest in seeing that the money we are giving is likely to be used both properly and effectively.
Everything that Alphacrucis is doing may be being done ‘properly’, but unless the money is producing the change in people that Alphacrucis intends, that is, has an impact, the money would be better used elsewhere. And the same applies if the impact is less than is being achieved by another charity.
Alphacrucis says that it is having an impact, but apart from self-reports by five past students in the Annual Report 2019, it offers no evidence that its graduates are changing the world as a result of their time at the College.
They did not respond to a draft of this review.
- And holds us accountable for their use (Luke 16:1-9). ↑
- See also Proverbs 14:15 and Prov 19:2. ↑
- The behaviour of its people, its use of money, and how it goes about its business. Here is our 2019 review that addresses some important things in this area. ↑
- The ACNC has previously – the Fact Sheet is no longer on the site – explained impact this way:“Every charity has a mission that is associated with producing a public benefit. As this mission is pursued, the changes produced in individuals and their communities can be referred to as the charity’s ‘impact.’ If you are donating to a charity, you may wish to make sure that your donation is creating the greatest impact possible.’
There is no reason why this wouldn’t still be their view. ↑
- These were the resources consumed in 2019 (Financial Report 2019, ACNC Register): ↑