The company’s values are summarised in the phrase “Expertise, with integrity, for Christ”.
More practically, we subscribe to Robert Lupton’s Oath for Compassionate Service¹:
- We will never do for others what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves.
- We will limit one-way giving to emergency situations.
- We will seek ways to empower through employment, lending, and investing, using grants sparingly to reinforce achievements.
- We will subordinate self-interest to the needs of those being served.
- We will listen closely to those we seek to help, especially to what is not being said – unspoken feelings may contain essential clues to effective service.
- Above all, to the best of our ability, we will aim to do no harm.
¹from his book Toxic Charity, HarperOne, 2011, p. 128, personalised